Pages: [1]   Bas de page
«Imprimer»
Auteur Fil de discussion: Politics in the NWT  (Lu 120 fois)
Johann
Forum Member

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« le: 17 d�cembre 2010, 07:47:59 »

Mikkel: Split this off from the Introductions thread.

It's wonderful to have someone from the Territories here to participate, and kudos on making your own path. That's the whole reason this party is here. We've had conversations on access to internet in the North before, and it will be great to hear your input. The only other active Northerner is actually a Canadian citizen living in Alaska.

Thanks, I am glad to be here, hopefully I can add something.  I think the Pirate Party could make some inroads in the north, information access is a big issue here.  There are a lot of related concerns including education, Government accountability, and corporate responsibility.  Some very ugly history here.

This is a pretty small voting population and turnout is under 50%.  I'm not saying that we could win a seat here in a walk or something but I think there is a possibility of a strong showing.  For example, there are a lot of young people here that don't vote and don't care, as well as a lot of young short-term residents who don't participate in local politics.  A lot of those transient workers don't end up being so transient, like me, 11 years and counting!  Some of those people vote Green by default, they don't even know anything about the Green party.

Ethel Blondin was the MP here for 18 years (won by only 53 votes over the NDP in 2004).  She was defeated in 2006 by the NDP, the MP is now Denis Bevington.  The Conservatve party had a strong showing in '08 but lost by 535 votes. 

The Green party picked up over 700 votes here (of 13,000 cast) in 2008.

There is some anger here towards the NDP, especially in regards to the long gun registry vote (which Bevington did vote to get rid of) and resource development.  Unfortunately that means more votes to the Conservative Party.  However, it does create some opportunities since our Party (as I understand it) allows candidates to create a local platform in addition to the main platform.  I don't think I am the only person out West who feels that the NDP has changed with its recent success.  They had a strong rural base that they seem to be turning away from.  They also don't seem to be engaging youth, at least in areas where I know people in the west. 

*sigh* I shouldn't even bring up such completely anecdotal "evidence," still I had an interesting if brief conversation with an NDP pollster/shill a couple of nights ago.  I was a contributer though I never joined the party.  Strange call.

After the brief intro, he literally went straight into "Harper is up to his old tricks again and we are looking at a spring election, we need your support."  Those comments are a little heavy handed for my taste.

I told him that I wouldn't be giving my support, either through money or my vote, and he got pretty angry at that point. "What's with you people up there! (Vancouver area #) You're the third one tonight that has said that!"  I told him what a couple of my concerns were and he cut me off with "those are just wedge issues, they don't matter"

Which is just silly.  A so-called wedge issue is considered a wedge for a reason - because it matters to some people!!

I have emailed our MP quite a few times, he is quite courteous and I think he even answers his own email.  I get some very strange replies when I email Jack Layton though, whoever is answering his email should probably take a little more time to review it before they send it.
« Dernière édition: 20 d�cembre 2010, 07:06:49 par Mikkel Paulson »
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #1 le: 17 d�cembre 2010, 08:33:15 »

Thanks, I am glad to be here, hopefully I can add something.  I think the Pirate Party could make some inroads in the north, information access is a big issue here.  There are a lot of related concerns including education, Government accountability, and corporate responsibility.  Some very ugly history here.

Care to elaborate on that? I'll admit I don't know a lot about northern politics.

For example, there are a lot of young people here that don't vote and don't care, as well as a lot of young short-term residents who don't participate in local politics.

Indeed. Nunavut has the lowest median age of any riding in Canada, something ridiculous like 25, and NWT is similar if memory serves. I think we could do decently there given a slightly radical candidate supporting extending high-speed Internet access to all Canadians, open access, and maybe particularly emphasizing legalisation of non-commercial file sharing.

Some of those people vote Green by default, they don't even know anything about the Green party.

Given the effects of climate change on the arctic, I can't say I blame them.

They also don't seem to be engaging youth, at least in areas where I know people in the west.

In my experience the NDP tends to be the most popular of the mainstream parties in the twentysomething demographic, but then most of the people I know in that age group are university students or recent grads.

Thanks for the details. Please do let me know if my conjecture is off base there.

Running a candidate in a rural riding, especially one as big as Western Arctic, is a toughie because it would require a lot of travel and connections all over the place in order to fight an effective campaign. On the other hand, if you're the only candidate to visit a town of 50 in the middle of nowhere, you can win a lot of their votes simply for making the effort.

Do you think you might be interested in running, or know someone who is? Logistical issues aside, I think it'd be great to field a candidate up north.
« Dernière édition: 17 d�cembre 2010, 08:38:13 par Mikkel Paulson »
Johann
Forum Member

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #2 le: 20 d�cembre 2010, 06:26:47 »

Care to elaborate on that? I'll admit I don't know a lot about northern politics.

I am mostly referring to residential school abuse, mining and oil claims, land claims, and education.

Current hot topic issues, in random order:

- Climate change
- Mining claims
- Hunting rights, including decline caribou herds
- Long-term sustainable power generation (hydro, geothermal)
- Education - very low graduation rates, high school not available in the communities, teacher housing
- Health care costs (feds are disputing expenses related to travel medical, limited services in the communities)
- Telephone and internet service costs and service and Northwestel's monopoly
- Employment
- The Mackenzie Valley Pipeline
- Providing road access to communities
- Long gun registry
- Lack of police presence in smaller communities

Some of these issues are more pertinent for the territorial government than the federal government but, since it is a territory not a province, the federal government has more direct and indirect control over what happens here.

Indeed. Nunavut has the lowest median age of any riding in Canada, something ridiculous like 25, and NWT is similar if memory serves. I think we could do decently there given a slightly radical candidate supporting extending high-speed Internet access to all Canadians, open access, and maybe particularly emphasizing legalisation of non-commercial file sharing.

I think the NWT is 30? It's definitely low.  I agree that those are issues people here care about.  

Given the effects of climate change on the arctic, I can't say I blame them.

It is a critical issue and anyone running for the Pirate Party would need to come out strong on that issue, in my opinion.

Thanks for the details. Please do let me know if my conjecture is off base there.

I think what you said made sense.

Running a candidate in a rural riding, especially one as big as Western Arctic, is a toughie because it would require a lot of travel and connections all over the place in order to fight an effective campaign. On the other hand, if you're the only candidate to visit a town of 50 in the middle of nowhere, you can win a lot of their votes simply for making the effort.

Travel expenses would be substantial and the time it takes to get around would be an issue.  A lot of the communities are fly-in access only, either year round or for part of the year.  People definitely would appreciate someone coming to see them though.  Also, people read the local papers quite regularly (News/North and others) and the papers usually provide good coverage on candidates, someone could get their message out quite inexpensively that way.

Do you think you might be interested in running, or know someone who is? Logistical issues aside, I think it'd be great to field a candidate up north.

I would be interested in running but, fair disclosure, there are a two reasons I wouldn't be the best choice if someone else was available:  

1. I live in Inuvik not Yellowknife or the close area.

Inuvik is the major hub town for the northern part of the territory, but is isolated from the southern part of the territory.  Almost half of the territorial population lives in Yellowknife alone, several of the other larger communities are in the southern part of the territory.

A Yellowknife candidate would get more exposure.

2. I work two jobs, shift work, and it would be very difficult for me to get time off to travel or campaign.  It would be a very part-time campaign.  

However, after my first three months are up, it's something I would like to explore further.  As I said, I am interested, I just wouldn't want to discourage a more geographically suitable candidate. I think running a candidate up north would be great though, and not just because I live here  Smiley   The north gets a lot of media attention (Harper and Igantieff both came to Inuvik alone, so did Paul Martin when he was P.M.) due to climate change and "arctic sovereignty" issues.

Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #3 le: 20 d�cembre 2010, 07:05:05 »

I am mostly referring to residential school abuse, mining and oil claims, land claims, and education.

One thing I think we need, although unfortunately out of federal jurisdiction, is parenting education in schools. That's especially relevant with the "lost generation" thanks to the residential schools. Parenting, insofar as it's taught at all, is currently learned primarily through childhood experience with one's own parents. Even at the best of times that's far from ideal, but without a stable home environment growing up, the children are going to be at the mercy of parents who just don't know how to deal with kids.

Sex ed in school now is primarily about scaring students into being careful. We need to give students a realistic idea of what parenting is like, all of its costs and benefits, so that they're able to make informed decisions and be good parents if and when they decide to start a family.

1. I live in Inuvik not Yellowknife or the close area.

Inuvik is the major hub town for the northern part of the territory, but is isolated from the southern part of the territory.  Almost half of the territorial population lives in Yellowknife alone, several of the other larger communities are in the southern part of the territory.

A Yellowknife candidate would get more exposure.

If you were to run, we'd want to find someone to act as representative in Yellowknife, or if we found a Yellowknife candidate, maybe you could represent him or her. It would certainly cut down on travel costs.

Hey, if the Pirate Party bus works out, maybe we could buy a plane next. Smiley

2. I work two jobs, shift work, and it would be very difficult for me to get time off to travel or campaign.  It would be a very part-time campaign. 

However, after my first three months are up, it's something I would like to explore further.  As I said, I am interested, I just wouldn't want to discourage a more geographically suitable candidate. I think running a candidate up north would be great though, and not just because I live here  Smiley   The north gets a lot of media attention (Harper and Igantieff both came to Inuvik alone, so did Paul Martin when he was P.M.) due to climate change and "arctic sovereignty" issues.

Some employers are required under the Canada Elections Act to give time off to run as a candidate, although if I recall correctly it need not be paid time.
Johann
Forum Member

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #4 le: 20 d�cembre 2010, 11:55:49 »

One thing I think we need, although unfortunately out of federal jurisdiction, is parenting education in schools. That's especially relevant with the "lost generation" thanks to the residential schools. Parenting, insofar as it's taught at all, is currently learned primarily through childhood experience with one's own parents. Even at the best of times that's far from ideal, but without a stable home environment growing up, the children are going to be at the mercy of parents who just don't know how to deal with kids.

That's something I'd have to think about.

There are some major missing resources here, conditions in some of the communities are very bad.  There are a lot of good people that are really suffering, "lost generation" is a good term.  The scale of what was done here is...hard to imagine.

When I look at all the money that is spent or is proposed for spending on Arctic Sovereignty, most of the discussion is on military spending - F35s, ice breakers, submarines, deep water ports, a winter warfare center, new reserve detachments, etc.  I'm not opposed to an effective military, but if Canada wants to assert their claim to the North, the best way to do it is by creating strong, sustainable communities here.  Education and infrastructure are something we can effectively provide, costs less and is capable of producing something of value.  A military strategy can't be wholly discounted but isn't an area where we can compete.

Sex ed in school now is primarily about scaring students into being careful. We need to give students a realistic idea of what parenting is like, all of its costs and benefits, so that they're able to make informed decisions and be good parents if and when they decide to start a family.

Couldn't agree more.  Various short-sighted religious and parental groups have short circuited reform in those areas - scared and uncomfortable parents are willing to ignore the issue. Children have access to more information than ever before yet I don't see the same effort being put forward to help them understand what they see, hear, and read.   Lying and hiding information is never an answer, for children or adults.

If you were to run, we'd want to find someone to act as representative in Yellowknife, or if we found a Yellowknife candidate, maybe you could represent him or her. It would certainly cut down on travel costs.

That sounds like a good plan.

Hey, if the Pirate Party bus works out, maybe we could buy a plane next. Smiley

LOL, I hope we have some deep pockets funding us!  Shouldn't we really get a boat though?  Maybe a hovercraft?  Smiley

Some employers are required under the Canada Elections Act to give time off to run as a candidate, although if I recall correctly it need not be paid time.

I'll have to look into that.  I don't recall that from my union collective agreement but I'll check.
Sean Hunt
Meeting Chairman
PPCA Representative

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #5 le: 20 d�cembre 2010, 08:07:14 »
+1

Citation de: Canada Elections Act
80. Every employer of employees to whom Part III of the Canada Labour Code applies shall, on application, grant any such employee leave of absence, with or without pay, to seek nomination as a candidate and to be a candidate for the period during the election period that may be requested.

Citation de: Canada Labour Code, Part III
167. (1) This Part applies
(a) to employment in or in connection with the operation of any federal work, undertaking or business other than a work, undertaking or business of a local or private nature in Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut;

I can't parse that, but I think it means you're good.
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #6 le: 20 d�cembre 2010, 08:55:32 »

Leave of absence
If a potential candidate is an employee of an employer to whom Part III of the Canada Labour Code applies, and the employee applies for leave of absence to be a candidate, the employer must grant the employee leave of absence, with or without pay, to seek nomination as a candidate and to be a candidate for the time during the election period that he or she requested.[80]

Part III of the Canada Labour Code generally applies to every employer in an undertaking that performs an activity under federal jurisdiction, such as banks, air transport, and radio and television broadcasting, and interprovincial and international services such as railways, highway transport, and shipping and shipping services.

From the section quoted by Sean, it sounds like just about anything that happens in the Territories qualifies as “federal jurisdiction”, too.
« Dernière édition: 20 d�cembre 2010, 08:57:39 par Mikkel Paulson »
Biogrand
Forum Member

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #7 le: 20 d�cembre 2010, 10:31:28 »

I think another hot-topic button (either media overstated or understated I am not sure) is the whole caribou herd population number declining, as well as the polar bears being designated as endanger species, and the ban on seal-product from Europe.

You got the Inuits saying that declining are not happening and that numbers are actually increasing (caribou and polar bears) while scientists are saying the opposite. Could greater government transparency (federal and civic) actually help solves this? Or does this solution requires something else?

When confronted with a problem: an open-minded person would first observe, analysis and act with a strategy solve to the problem.
However, a close-minded person would retort to brute force, tantrums and even hysterias when confronted with a problems
Sean Hunt
Meeting Chairman
PPCA Representative

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #8 le: 21 d�cembre 2010, 03:12:32 »

I think another hot-topic button (either media overstated or understated I am not sure) is the whole caribou herd population number declining, as well as the polar bears being designated as endanger species, and the ban on seal-product from Europe.

You got the Inuits saying that declining are not happening and that numbers are actually increasing (caribou and polar bears) while scientists are saying the opposite. Could greater government transparency (federal and civic) actually help solves this? Or does this solution requires something else?
It requires a better community-government interface and a better definition of timeline. Population may be at the end of a long-term decline but on a short-term rise. Also, evidence on both sides should be reviewed.
Johann
Forum Member

Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #9 le: 24 d�cembre 2010, 12:25:54 »

There are several different caribou herds and not all aboriginal groups are in agreement about the amount of the decline or what action to take.  Continuing seismic work and road building could have very serious adverse effect on the herds long term.

Government transparency is always beneficial but there are other issues that affect decision making: jurisdiction, unresolved land claims, lack of trust, and quite simply the food needs of some communities.

Polar bear population is more of a high profile concern in the eastern arctic but sport hunts are a source of much needed revenue in the communities around where I live.  Some of my wife's family has been involved in them for years, there aren't a lot of employment options in most northern community.  Subsistence hunting is a way of life for many and sport hunts are, as I said, a needed revenue source.  
Pages: [1]   Haut de page
«Imprimer»

Aller à: