Pages: [1]   Go Down
«Print»
Author Topic: Community Service as Promotional Tool  (Read 114 times)
Rintaran
Federal Clerk
PPCA Representative

Open your mind to the world you missed.

« on: October 01, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »

Hello everyone,

As many of you know, I'm in school to be a professional event organizer. As such, I am required to volunteer at various events in my community, and to plan & run a fundraiser for the Children's Wish foundation in March. A couple weeks back I had the opportunity to attend Carp Fair (an agricultural festival just outside of Ottawa), and I volunteered for Bike for Beats (a cycling fundraiser for the Ottawa Heart Institute). At both, I noticed something that I've noted in the past, but often ignored: politicians and volunteers for political parties often volunteer at these events.

They don't go to talk about their platforms, or why they should be elected, though if someone asks, they're happy to share those thoughts. They generally dress to match the event's theme, add on the pin of their political party, and have a few brochures, business cards, and pins to hand out if people are interested. I'm sure we've all been served on Camp Day by our local MP or MPP at some time or another. And I'm sure you've heard about them attending other events in your area.

People seeking election often bring up the places they've volunteered, the marches they've been in, and any local/provincial/federal initiatives they've "helped" succeed. They're a part of their rosy profiles online, and you read it in their individual brochures. Although people may not talk politics at a lot of these events, they do take note of who showed up and helped out.

What I'd like to suggest is that pirate party members get active in their communities as volunteers, especially if you've set yourselves up to be candidates in the next election. Dress appropriate to the event, wear a pin, and don't be afraid to tell people what the party is about. If someone asks what the pin is for, don't reply with "I'm a member of the pirate party", reply with something that tells them about our platform, preferably in relation to the event at hand (if possible), and at the end of it, mention the party name itself. Volunteering even as little as 5 hours a month is peanuts, even with our busy schedules, and could be a great thing for the party, especially if several pirates volunteer for the same event at the same time.

It's free advertising (ok, cost of a button), engenders happy thoughts from the electorate, and bulks up your CV's volunteer section (especially useful if you're trying for scholarships at college/university *wink wink*).

What do people think of this idea? Who is going to put it to use?

Also, I'll probably need some volunteers for a winter carnival in Ottawa at the beginning of March Break. There will be kids, parents & grandparents, which means a nice section of the electorate who are concerned about the world their kids/grandkids will be growing up in. Keep it in mind, I'll post a request closer to the date.

-Shawn Gray, OCT
http://www.shawngray.ca
http://thenortherncyclist.wordpress.com

-Shawn R. Gray, OCT
Jay Frank
Forum Member

October 01, 2010, 06:17:55 PM - Hidden.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:17:55 PM »

The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.
-Plato
Rintaran
Federal Clerk
PPCA Representative

Open your mind to the world you missed.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
+1

Jay, that's not what I'm getting at here at all. I'm not telling anyone to donate money, and hell, I choose very few to do so to myself (and they're usually very small charities).

I'm suggesting that at events, like carnivals, fairs, etc, we have some people volunteer on site. Even if YOU don't like the charity, in general, most people associate good feelings toward them and that has a ripple effect on the volunteers that are there. It's a promotional opportunity that is free except for a few hours of time. Put people on site with some PPCA identifiers, maybe some brochures "just in case", and you have an outlet to spread our message and drum up support without being blatant about it.

-Shawn R. Gray, OCT
Jay Frank
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »

Social engineering point well made.

I concede and withdraw the negative vibes.

Go get some PR and +Rep.

J

The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.
-Plato
Mike Bleskie
English PR Director
PPCA Representative

Wiara i wolność.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »

Jay Frank:

Generally, for many groups, but certainly not all of them, approximately 2-4% goes to administrative costs, and that usually means setting up local offices, full-time organizers and such. You cannot run a charity without those costs. Other charities can have up to 10% going to those costs, but for the most part, it's less than 5%.

Rintaran:

I'm hoping that other directors (and especially the candidates)  in the party are involved in other things. I myself have been involved in various fundraisers, but mostly for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's Canadian research fundraising. Get to know the volunteers and the people attending, talk, discuss what's going on in the community. It's not only a boost to your public record, it's extremely fulfilling.

I do have another thing I'm thinking of adding to this, but it requires me talking to some directors first.

Concerned Citizen
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:16:57 AM »

Explain to me how MANY HUGE "community service" groups gather large sums of money and the majority of the $ goes to "administrative" costs.

It's bullshit.

I'll give money to panhandlers before I give it to MADD, United Nations, Greenpeace x-cancer, etc.

How can we KNOW our donation is going to the people in need and not the call center and marketing "UN employees"?

J

Wow I've never seen a post get down to like -4 and show up in purple. That said I concur atleast with regards to giving MADD money. They get rediculous amounts of money from the insurance industry to lobby towards a 0.0 for everyone on a breathalyzer test and more guilty until proven innocent types of laws.

Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.
-James Madison
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »

Me neither. Good to see that the system is working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
«Print»

Jump to: