Pages: [1]   Go Down
«Print»
Author Topic: Google Analytics: Or "Why does PPCA install a tracking cookie on my computer?"  (Read 307 times)
Yehoshua
Forum Member

« on: June 11, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »

It seems entirely contrary to our platform, and hypocritical of us, to be using Google Analytics (or indeed any Google service) for the PPCA website.

I would like to move that we immediately cease use of Google Analytics and find the "next best" alternative; so it may not give us as detailed of information about our visitors? That's absolutely fine by me!
Nuitari
Director-at-Large
PPCA Representative

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:40:15 AM »

What is the next best alternative that provide as much data as Google Analytics?
And that is free to use?
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:52:33 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it doesn't matter if our in-house solution can compare to Analytics on every point. The point is that using Analytics while advocating a pro-privacy platform is simply hypocritical. I'm amazed that this is still an issue. Ditch Analytics today, then worry about what else we can use. This is a serious problem that should've been addressed months ago.
Concerned Citizen
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »

An in-house solution is probably a better choice. Remember Analytics basically provides all the data you would have to search the log files for to Google.

Sure people could block the cookie (I think I do as part of Noscript, not 100% sure though) but it's better if we dont do it at all. That said, I've been wondering for a while how much traffic/hits the balancedcopyright domains for .ca and .com are generating for us.

Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.
-James Madison
Yehoshua
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »

As Paulson has said, there is no reason for this to still be an issue several weeks after it was pointed out. It should be rectified immediately; Piwik is open-source and free - two major reasons to support it right there. Can we please have some accountability?
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:52:11 PM »

Try a month and a half.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
«Print»

Jump to: