Pages: [1]   Go Down
«Print»
Author Topic: Follow Us / Friend Us  (Read 241 times)
Yehoshua
Forum Member

« on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »

Shocked

I swear, somebody reading the PPCA website must think we're absolute corporate shills for megacorporations...right there on our front page, we cheerfully display the logos for Twitter and Facebook, encouraging people to use them to follow our intellectual-property-freedom-and-pro-privacy mandate...

It's like offering free meals at Burger King for anybody who joins PETA, or suggesting that people who call suicide hotlines can save money when purchasing a bathtub and toaster together...

Could we perhaps NOT give free advertising and encouragement for those megasites that "retain the right to sell information collected about you to third parties and interested individuals, and to hold the exclusive copyright on anything you post on the site".  I know I, for one, would sleep better knowing that we were doing our part to ensure the internet is not a homogeny controlled by three super-powerful corporations who trample everybody else's rights and freedoms.
Concerned Citizen
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:08:19 PM »

Like it or not... Social Media is probably where a new party like our own will make the most headway. Typical people who engage in this are 16-30 year old demographic which is the one that our platform tends to appeal to most as well as the one that is most likely not to vote.

If you want to win over people you need to get in contact with them then direct them to our website/forums. It's really not much different than standing on a corner with pamphlets really.

Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.
-James Madison
Yehoshua
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »

Except telling the bystanders that if they take a pamphlet, their name, address, list of friends and extracurricular activities will all be registered with the government and interested corporations...but we'll give them a free Pepsi to sweeten the deal...

Even if we do keep the LINKs, I'm more opposed to the idea we have GRAPHICS for these megacorporations, which essentially is the same as the difference between a menu saying "Soda pop - $.149" or having the Coca-Cola logo on your storefront.
CherylD
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »

I have to agree with ConcernedCitizen -- social media is a tool that the party needs to use.

As to using the logos, you say it is

the same as the difference between a menu saying "Soda pop - $.149" or having the Coca-Cola logo on your storefront.

and perhaps that is true. However, would it really be any different to have text that read "Follow Us" with a link to Twitter and "Become a Fan" with a link to Facebook? I don't think so. Right now there is no generic "soda pop" equivalent to either platform; they are what they are and I think most of the people who would be interested in becoming involved will recognize the logos and see the party as a legitimate entity for embracing rather than rejecting them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
«Print»

Jump to: