Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
«Print»
Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 349 times)
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »

It seems that the selection of our official acronym, PPCA, may have been unwise...

http://www.ppca.com.au/ (first Google hit)

ABOUT US

Established in 1969 as the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA), we’re a national, non-government, non-profit organisation representing the interests of record labels (licensors) and Australian recording artists.

What we do

We grant licences for the broadcast, communication or public playing of recorded music (e.g., CDs, records and digital downloads) or music videos. We then distribute the licence fees we collect to the record labels and Australian recording artists registered with us, under our Distribution Policy.

It’s important to remember that if you need a licence of the type offered by us, you’ll probably need a licence from APRA (Australasian Performing Right Association Ltd) as well. That’s because there are at least two copyrights in most recordings and music videos:

1. the copyright in the song (lyrics, composition etc.) - licences available from APRA;
2. the copyright in the recording and/or music video of the song (a particular recorded performance) - 'blanket' licences available from us, or individual licences available from the copyright holders.

The benefits of playing recorded music in your business are many and varied. We make it simple to put music to work for you with a ‘blanket’ licence that covers nearly all recordings commercially released in Australia.

In fact, we currently license over 50,000 venues Australia-wide, including clubs, hotels, bars, restaurants, fitness centres, shops, halls and dance studios, and also grant licences to radio and TV stations.

However, I do like that they're honest enough to admit that they represent the interests of record labels first and content creators second.
Mike Bleskie
English PR Director
PPCA Representative

Wiara i wolność.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »

I'm fine with it for gveryday usage, as well as PPI placement. However, for Elections Canada, PPCA is currently our short form, which gets listed on the ballot. This may not be the way we want to list our name on the ballot. I recommend possibly changing it to "Pirate" or "Pirates", that way, people really know what party they are voting for when they mark their ballot.

I suggest amending this to your other topic.

Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »

I agree, although I'd simply go with "Pirate Party". Most of the other parties just drop "of Canada" rather than going for an acronym.
Mike Bleskie
English PR Director
PPCA Representative

Wiara i wolność.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »

I agree, although I'd simply go with "Pirate Party". Most of the other parties just drop "of Canada" rather than going for an acronym.

It's just kind of the way we've established ourselves, for now. But by going "Pirate(s)" for Elections Canada for short-form, it's bilingual. Maybe the party should be a unilingual "Pirates Canada" at some point?

Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:51 AM »

Most other parties have different English and French forms. For instance:

Conservative / Conservateur
Green Party / Parti Vert
NDP-New Democratic Party / NPD-Nouveau Parti démocratique
Liberal / Libéral

We're in the minority in that regard.
JDPerry
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

Most other parties have different English and French forms...
We're in the minority in that regard.

And I personally find that rather neat. Though its not paradigm-shifting, nor a pivotal part of our party's identity, having a little bit of added flare like that can be endearing. Sometimes its the little differences that add up to one big solution Smiley
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »

I agree that it's kinda neat, but the most important factor in name recognition on our ballot, where "Pirate Party"/"Parti Pirate" will serve us better than "PPCA".
Daniel St Onge
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »

I agree we should stay away from acronyms on the ballot.
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 12:15:47 AM »

It's done.
trailblazer11
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:49:59 AM »

Cool. Totally agree. I am a proponent of the no more than 3 syllable brand name rule. Apparently most recognizable brand have 3 syllables or less. PPCA is 4. Pirates is 2 and more recognizable.

Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 01:34:05 AM »

You think we should drop the “Party” from the short name?
Johann
Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »

I agree that it's kinda neat, but the most important factor in name recognition on our ballot, where "Pirate Party"/"Parti Pirate" will serve us better than "PPCA".

I like "Pirate Party"/"Parti Pirate" I think that would work a lot better.  I'm surprised that completely non-political friends of mine were already familiar with the Pirate Party name from European news.
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:22:45 AM »

I'm not surprised. The Pirate Party movement has been pretty good at getting press beyond the usual political channels.
trailblazer11
Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »

You think we should drop the “Party” from the short name?

Hmm. On second thought, Pirate Party might be better so that we can have French version of it also Parti Pirate.
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »

Well, if we dropped it in the English, we'd do the same in French.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
«Print»

Jump to: