Linked Events
  • Leadership Debate: August 25, 2022
Pages: [1]   Go Down
«Print»
Author Topic: Leadership Debate - August 25, 2022  (Read 230 times)
Mikkel Paulson
Party Leader
PPCA Representative

« on: August 25, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »

A leadership debate is scheduled to take place today, August 25th, starting at 8:00 PM EDT. Transcripts of the debate will be posted online afterwards. As always, it will take place in our IRC channel.
Sean Hunt
Meeting Chairman
PPCA Representative

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

Here's the debate transcript. I've removed a few things that weren't directly relevant to the debate for ease of reading; if anyone wants the raw version, I can provide it.
doconnor
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »

Having no file extension and using unix style line breaks makes the debate log difficult to read for windows users.

It might be better to put the whole thing in a comment.
Sean Hunt
Meeting Chairman
PPCA Representative

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »

18:00:52 coppro: Okay, we'll start with 5 minut opening speeches from the candidates
18:01:05 coppro: I will flip a coin to decide who goes first...
18:01:25 coppro: JakeDaynes will start
18:01:32 JakeDaynes: Thank you all for coming to help decide the direction this party will move in.
18:01:40 JakeDaynes: Since the start of this directorial election I have seen next to no activity in regards to campaigning in the forum, and I would like to note that only three people, Daniel, Stephane and myself took the time to answer the question posed to all candidates regarding the CRTC.
18:01:51 JakeDaynes: Mikkel has stated in his application that he is not running because he wants to, but because he has a lack of confidence in his party's current leadership. If this is truly the case then I ask this: how does he think the members of this party will follow somebody who does not want to be in a position of leadership? I ask how he thinks he can properly fulfill his hypothetical leadership obligations if he does not even want the position?
18:02:04 JakeDaynes: I now however, sit before you from my family vacation in Hawaii, the first family vacation taken in over 4 years, ready to work as hard as ever.
18:02:13 JakeDaynes: I am here, running for this position because I believe more than anything, that we have a shot at making Canada a better place to live. And in doing so, making Canadian and Pirate History by being the first PP with an elected member outside of the EU.
18:02:25 JakeDaynes: I would like to take this last moment to add that I am not asking you to vote for me, I am asking you to vote for the individual that you think will be best suited to run this party and lead it to Ottawa! If you do vote for me, I can promise that I will continue to do whatever it takes to fulfill my obligations in full.
18:02:41 JakeDaynes: I ask you to vote for the person you wish to follow, if the majority of you would prefer Mikkel, then by all means, I will cede my position and do my best to continue to help this party grow.
18:03:18 JakeDaynes: Thank you all for taking the time to come out here, and I hope that with the results of this debate in, we see the start of a new PPCA on the 30th, ready to face new battles.
18:03:30 JakeDaynes: That is all
18:03:52 MikkelPaulson: hello everyone
18:04:01 MikkelPaulson: and thanks for your attendance
18:04:26 MikkelPaulson: it's encouraging to see that so many people are concerned with the leadership of this Party, and that you believe in it enough to support and eventually to vote in its democratic process
18:04:48 MikkelPaulson: as Jake says, my candidacy is not a product of my desire for power
18:05:12 MikkelPaulson: I believe that this is the purest reason for someone to enter politics, not out of a drive to gain power and influence, but a desire to serve
18:05:34 MikkelPaulson: I believe in this Party, I believe in its goals, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to see that it succeeds
18:05:45 MikkelPaulson: I don't think anyone here questions my commitment
18:06:16 MikkelPaulson: I have been with the party for almost a year, and in that time, have developed a reputation for hard work, for always being there to do whatever needs to be done, and for my vision in leading the party forward
18:06:37 MikkelPaulson: in that time, Jake has built a reputation for always promising to be there but never following through
18:06:59 MikkelPaulson: his involvement in the media has been limited, leaving most of the contact to the PR committee
18:07:16 MikkelPaulson: leadership is about more than calling the shots; it's about putting a face to the party and representing it in a strong light
18:07:36 MikkelPaulson: furthermore, I would like to observe that in his speech he has said nothing about the direction he believes the party needs to move
18:07:50 MikkelPaulson: I believe that we need to expand our member base first and foremost
18:07:59 MikkelPaulson: concentrate on building strong campaigns in the next election where possible
18:08:21 MikkelPaulson: and build alliances with other fringe parties so as to gain as much influence and exposure as possible
18:08:38 MikkelPaulson: I know how the game is played, and I believe that we have not only the ability but the obligation to rewrite all of the rules where it suits
18:08:43 MikkelPaulson: I look forward to your questions
18:08:44 MikkelPaulson: thank you
18:08:59 coppro: Thank you, candidates
18:09:10 coppro: I'll now open the debate up
18:10:26 MikkelPaulson: if I may, I received two questions during my candidacy vote on Monday
18:10:36 MikkelPaulson: where were geared towards my leadership qualifications
18:10:39 MikkelPaulson: I'd like to respond to them now
18:10:49 MikkelPaulson: 18:27:58 ChrisOBrien: Mikkel, I'm sure that most of us recognize that you are likely the hardest working member in the party, and the number one administrative person.  My question is this:  Will you continue with the PPCA administrative functions (Press release, twitter, forum, etc) if elected Leader?
18:11:08 MikkelPaulson: the answer is no
18:11:13 MikkelPaulson: there is only so much of me to go around
18:11:25 MikkelPaulson: and leadership involves assuming a great deal of additional responsibility
18:11:44 MikkelPaulson: I would naturally have to abandon or scale back my involvement in some matters that I work on now
18:11:59 MikkelPaulson: however, I will certainly work to ensure that there is someone qualified to step in in my place
18:12:20 MikkelPaulson: I don't know that that question applies particularly to Jake, so I'll continue unless he has a response
18:12:56 JakeDaynes: As this question was directed specifically to Mikkel, I do not have any response
18:13:04 MikkelPaulson: very well
18:13:11 MikkelPaulson: the other question is as follows
18:13:12 MikkelPaulson: 18:28:45 shep: MikkelPaulson, How do you plan on getting the PPCA national main stream media attention?
18:13:46 MikkelPaulson: we've been fortunate thus far to gain significant attention due to the novelty of our existence
18:14:04 MikkelPaulson: and we've consequently had the opportunity to draw quite a bit of attention to our concerns
18:14:21 MikkelPaulson: that will disappear quickly unless we work hard to keep it going
18:14:35 MikkelPaulson: which brings me back to my emphasis on public relations and on unconventional politics
18:14:59 MikkelPaulson: I believe we need to be credible in order to avoid becoming the next Rhino Party, a laughingstock
18:15:47 MikkelPaulson: but I'd like to build a reputation with the media where we are interviewed alongside Michael Geist every time an IP-related issue arises
18:15:55 MikkelPaulson: this means issuing prompt, insightful press releases
18:16:01 MikkelPaulson: reaching out to the media
18:16:32 MikkelPaulson: and the use of old and new promotions methods, from posters and door-knocking to Twitter and Facebook, to build a strong grassroots base
18:17:29 MikkelPaulson: *sits down*
18:17:35 coppro: Jake?
18:17:44 JakeDaynes: In regards to getting the PPCA National attention, I believe that in order to proceed any further, we must finish the finalisation of our platform
18:17:55 JakeDaynes: Once that is set, we can move forward with more assured steps such as outreach to various media agencies. We have something that people are interested in, that is hope. We need to bring this to the mainstage by showing that we can play with the big boys by utilising all of our available media connections.
18:18:11 JakeDaynes: We have the internet, an amazingly versatile tool, at our disposal
18:18:33 JakeDaynes: with it, we have succeeded in building our member base past the 2000 mark in just over a year
18:19:08 JakeDaynes: However, I believe that we need to stretch out our attempts in more unconventional ways
18:19:48 JakeDaynes: For instance, for a relatively low cost, we have the ingenuity to display our logo on the night skys clouds using various laser products and a lense
18:19:57 JakeDaynes: THinking outside the box is part of our heritage
18:20:05 JakeDaynes: Our bumber stickers have been met with a lot of support, and I have even seen unofficial PPCA stickers put up in downtown Vancouver by an anonymous supporter. I believe that with continued work in regards to grassroots tactics such as these stickers
18:20:46 JakeDaynes: and new tactics such as wall murals using pressure washers, we can compete with the large parties for media attention
18:20:50 JakeDaynes: *sits down*
18:20:55 MikkelPaulson: may I respond?
18:21:22 JakeDaynes: *nods*
18:21:37 MikkelPaulson: coppro?
18:21:44 coppro: Yes, sure
18:21:48 MikkelPaulson: well
18:21:53 MikkelPaulson: briefly
18:22:01 MikkelPaulson: we're not Batman
18:22:37 MikkelPaulson: and, while I think the bumper stickers have been handy, I don't believe that they should form a significant part of our public relations campaign
18:23:25 MikkelPaulson: in particular, while I personally don't have a problem with the art, I am disinclined to give this party a reputation as a group of graffiti artists
18:24:12 MikkelPaulson: that's all I have to add at the moment, as I think I've addressed your other points in my previous response
18:24:22 coppro: Jake, would you like to respond?
18:24:25 JakeDaynes: yes
18:24:37 JakeDaynes: I gave the bumber stickers as an example, and using pressure washers to spray murals in dirt is completely legal, and a form of art and advertising that is amazingly versatile.
18:25:01 JakeDaynes: We have brought up the idea of using such advertising tactics in the past, and it was met with various shades of interest
18:25:44 JakeDaynes: As far as the bumber stickers forming a significant part of our PR campaign, I didn't imply that they should, just that they are a useful tool
18:26:19 JakeDaynes: I feel that they allow us to get our name out there, even if people dont realise what it is
18:27:05 JakeDaynes: In terms of being batman, no, we aren't, I completely agree. I do not agree however, that a perfectly viable idea in regards to marketing should be dismissed because it isn't a traditional method
18:27:22 JakeDaynes: I was merely giving it as an idea in regards to thinking outside the box
18:27:38 JakeDaynes: *sits down*
18:27:43 MikkelPaulson: I have no further response, aside from to note that I am of course always open to other ideas to promote the party beyond those that I have identified
18:27:58 Mike Bleskie: This is a question for both candidates: So far, there has been a problem with trying to activate the party's members, and things have gone slowly the past few months although the summer season may have a role in that. My question is in two parts. How will you get council working effectively and to what extent will federal council be involved in your activities...
18:28:02 Mike Bleskie: ...and how do you plan on getting everyday members active in party functions, and retaining members for the future?
18:28:18 Mike Bleskie: Coppro, you can choose who goes first
18:28:37 coppro: I think it's Jake's turn to speak first
18:29:15 JakeDaynes: I agree with you Mike, that things have not gone as smoothly as many would hope, and I believe that the summer probably has a large part in that.
18:29:47 JakeDaynes: I think that in order to really get the masses actively participating in the party, we need to start questioning why they joined in the first place
18:30:15 JakeDaynes: I think, as sad as I am to say it, that a large part of it is the name
18:30:50 JakeDaynes: I know that many people have been against the name to varying degrees, however, at the same time, I think that many people saw the name and decided it sounded cool
18:31:25 JakeDaynes: I think we need to focus first and formost on getting the platform completed, in order to show people what we're about. If people don't know, they can't participate.
18:32:10 JakeDaynes: I feel that with the new council coming out, there will be a lot more discussion into how we can do this. In terms of how the council will be involved in my activities
18:32:56 JakeDaynes: activities, I feel that once we have everything set up, we can continue in breaking down the work that needs to be done, and in doing so, increase our efficiency in resolving any matters that come to light
18:33:10 JakeDaynes: By doing so, everything will run smoother. So in short, the key is communication.
18:33:13 JakeDaynes: *sits down*
18:34:34 Mike Bleskie: MikkelPaulson?
18:35:05 MikkelPaulson: I think the most important move we can make at this point is what you're looking at right now
18:35:09 MikkelPaulson: the election
18:35:30 MikkelPaulson: we can't expect to have an active, motivated member base without a federal council to lead by example
18:36:28 MikkelPaulson: with respect to BobJonkman and Kevin Price, both incumbent directors, their lack of activity has hindered the smooth operation of the federal council, and therefore the ability of the party to move with determination and commitment
18:36:54 MikkelPaulson: likewise, Jake's apparent lack of commitment in recent months has hindered our ability to move forward
18:37:29 MikkelPaulson: I am confident that, based on my personal experience with the current Director candidates, we will have a far more effective federal council going forward
18:37:49 MikkelPaulson: I certainly agree with Jake about the points of both the name and the platform
18:38:03 MikkelPaulson: I would like to note that both of us are members of and active in the Select Committee on Platform Information
18:38:25 MikkelPaulson: and are therefore committed to ensuring that we are able to develop in that regard
18:38:58 MikkelPaulson: as well, based on informal polls that I have conducted at local meetings, we have attracted a significant percentage of our members on name first and platform second
18:39:06 MikkelPaulson: the name recognition is vital to gaining attention
18:39:27 MikkelPaulson: I believe that the media exposure we've received so far is thanks in no small part to our rather unconventional name
18:39:44 coppro: I believe BobJonkman would like to respond
18:39:58 MikkelPaulson: very well
18:40:03 BobJonkman: The current directorate has not been a cohesive team.  Individual directors have gone off and done their own thing, without consultation with the rest of the directors - electoral system (phone voting, bots), expulsions, other fundamenal activities
18:41:09 BobJonkman: Limiting the involvement to forums, IRC and e-mail also limits the direct involvment possible.  This is part of the disenfranchisement that regular members must feel even more so than the directors
18:41:29 BobJonkman: So, it is not for lack of ideas or willingness that I have not been more involved.
18:41:55 BobJonkman: I feel it is more of an exclusion.  Hopefully the new board will make a clean sweep and fix these problems
18:41:57 BobJonkman: *is done*
18:42:03 coppro: Do we have any more questions?
18:42:16 MikkelPaulson: absolutely, and as leader, I intend to convene at least weekly meetings of the federal council in the future so as to better coordinate activities and encourage participation
I would also like to note that, unlike Jake, I've had the opportunity to personally meet all of the director candidates, other than Jake himself
18:42:41 MikkelPaulson: that's not something I fault him for, seeing as he lives on the opposite side of the country
18:42:55 MikkelPaulson: but face-to-face communication is important where possible
18:47:46 coppro: Zblewski, I guess you're the only one, so feel free to go ahead
18:49:10 Mike Bleskie: This one is directed at Mikkel. Your activity is to be commended, first, and foremost. Without it, our party would not be functioning as it has. I do have one major thing.
chutzpah left the room (quit: Ping timeout). (18:50:36)
18:50:46 Mike Bleskie: Over the course of the past few months, I have been able to get in communication with other directors, and met with you and Kevin Price personally. When we discussed leadership in the party, Kevin noted his own faults, but over a period of time, you have been pinpointing problems with the entire team.
18:52:39 Mike Bleskie: You have government experience, but you have been very quick to point out and critisize flaws in others. Will you be working on this flaw, and look to find ways to get us going, instead of critisising the willing workers the party has?
18:53:00 MikkelPaulson: absolutely
18:53:14 MikkelPaulson: and I am far from perfect
18:53:35 MikkelPaulson: I apologize if I came off as overly critical, and likewise in my communication with Jake this evening
18:54:16 MikkelPaulson: however, at our discussion, I believe the majority of my criticism was directed towards those who were inactive, rather than the hard workers upon whom the Party depends
18:55:11 coppro: Okay, are there any other questions?
18:55:14 MikkelPaulson: wasme: you raised a rather critical point regarding my conduct a couple of days ago; if it still concerns you, would you like to raise it?
18:55:35 MikkelPaulson: ... if you're there
18:55:51 JakeDaynes: He is, one moment
18:56:38 wasme: er, I'm a little pre-occupied at the moment. But if you want a response I'd have to say ... I don't know.
18:57:14 MikkelPaulson: what do you mean?
18:58:13 wasme: damnit, you're putting me on the spot when I didn't expect to be participating in this. I ... I'm sorry but I just can't deal with this right now.
18:58:36 MikkelPaulson: sorry wasme, don't sweat it
18:58:52 MikkelPaulson: I'm open to other questions if anyone has anything to raise
18:59:11 JakeDaynes: As am I
18:59:38 TheMadHatter: Um, do you know about fairvote.ca?
19:00:22 coppro: TheMadHatter: was that a debate question
19:01:02 TheMadHatter: Yes. What do you know about it, and what do you think of it?
19:01:03 coppro: Mikkel?
19:01:39 MikkelPaulson: I don't know anything about it, and consequently don't have an opinion
19:01:41 coppro: MikkelPaulson? I believe it's your turn
19:01:45 coppro: ok
19:01:46 coppro: Jake?
19:01:48 MikkelPaulson: I'd certainly be interested to hear more though
19:02:30 JakeDaynes: Fairvote.ca? I have some knowledge on them, but am far from being an expert, I don't feel that I could form a conclusive opinion with the limited information I have now.
19:02:32 TheMadHatter: http://fairvote.ca - I would suggest that you check it out (FYI, I'm involved with the local Fair Vote chapter).
19:02:52 MikkelPaulson: oh, I thought you were referring to political satire
19:03:33 coppro: Shall we move on?
19:03:42 JakeDaynes: I understand that they are looking for electoral reform, however, I have no knowledge on how they operate, nor on their local chapter's activities
19:04:11 coppro: ProudPirate has a question
19:06:33 MikkelPaulson: ... or maybe not
19:06:47 coppro: ah, wait, here it is, he sent it to me in PM ><
19:06:56 coppro: <ProudPirate> I was wondering what the candidates would do to attract 'pirates' that are voters but may feel alienated by the mainstream feel that tha party appears to have sometimes.
19:07:25 JakeDaynes: I believe it is my turn to answer this time
19:07:41 coppro: yes
19:08:38 JakeDaynes: First off, I would need more information in regards to the apparent 'Mainstream' feel that the party has. Though I would think that in any respect, the key to attracting any voter is with information. If we educate said fence-sitters, then there is a better chance that they will fall to our side of the metaphoric fence.
19:09:21 JakeDaynes: *sits down*
19:09:35 coppro: Mikkel?
19:10:24 MikkelPaulson: well, as I've said before, our role in the future will be a balancing act between traditional politics and unconventional behaviour to court the media and alienated voters that ProudPirate mentions
19:11:10 MikkelPaulson: I believe that a significant proportion of citizens don't vote not because they don't care but because there is no party that speaks their language and speaks to their concerns
19:11:54 MikkelPaulson: but getting the word out that we are not only a serious political force, but a serious political force with seriously different and more democratic goals by comparison to the mainstream parties, I believe that we can win significant support
19:12:06 MikkelPaulson: again, it all ties back to promotions
19:12:20 MikkelPaulson: *is done*
19:13:42 coppro: Okay, we'll move on to closing statements then. Mikkel?
19:13:59 MikkelPaulson: thank you
19:14:06 MikkelPaulson: thank you all for your questions
19:14:39 MikkelPaulson: I believe that I've had the opportunity to emphasize my ideals, my goals, my drive, and my convictions over the course of the debate
19:15:18 MikkelPaulson: I do fully respect Jake for the work he has done for the Party in the past
19:15:22 MikkelPaulson: but his time has come
19:15:43 MikkelPaulson: this evening, I have presented concrete goals to strive for and to attain over the next 4 years
19:15:59 MikkelPaulson: I have introduced real, viable means by which we can attain these goals
19:16:23 MikkelPaulson: I have the background and the experience needed to bring these goals to fruition
19:16:48 MikkelPaulson: by supporting my candidacy for leadership, you support a strong, directed, and accountable party
19:17:04 MikkelPaulson: a party that will become and remain a strong driving force in Canadian politics
19:17:15 MikkelPaulson: and a party that we can all be proud of
19:17:27 MikkelPaulson: Jake has committed to being more involved in the future
19:17:37 MikkelPaulson: which is commendable, and I look forward to it
19:17:50 MikkelPaulson: but it's something that we have all heard from him many times before
19:18:08 MikkelPaulson: we need a leader who is present and willing to lead, and that is something that I am able to promise and deliver on
19:18:23 MikkelPaulson: finally, allow me to echo Jake's sentiments in his introductory speech
19:18:36 MikkelPaulson: if you feel that he would be a more qualified leader than I, please do give him your full support
19:18:52 MikkelPaulson: if he is elected, I will support him and his leadership as a director
19:19:00 MikkelPaulson: and do my best for the party, no matter what is available to me
19:19:13 MikkelPaulson: if you have any other questions, you can email me at [email protected]
19:19:15 MikkelPaulson: thank you
19:19:38 coppro: Okay, Jake?
19:20:06 JakeDaynes: I would like to take a second to thank Mikkel for the hard work he has put in over the past year
19:20:21 JakeDaynes: Thank you Mikkel, you are a valuable part of this party
19:20:26 JakeDaynes: In conclusion I would like to thank all of you, first and foremost, for coming out this evening to help support this important process.
19:20:36 JakeDaynes: I would like to bring a few things to point, namely a small question aimed at Mikkel. What do you do to pay your bills, and how much time out of your week does that take up?
19:20:52 JakeDaynes: I ask this because out of all of Mikkel's criticisms on inactivity, I have seen people online and active during the very late hours of the evening into the early morning. I see this, and understand that many of the people that are active in this time, are mainly there because they work throughout the day, 5 or more days a week.
19:21:03 JakeDaynes: I would like to point out that though Mikkel has been critical of my commitement, I must draw attention to the fine distinction between a lack of commitement and a temporary lack of availability. As I have mentioned previously in my opening statement, I am here, ready and willing to make every effort to further the PPCA in our move towards mainstream awareness.
19:21:11 JakeDaynes: I think that the first order of business would be to finalise our platform, followed by expanding our demographical target outside of the classic "Young Male technologist" by using innovative media channels to gain attention.
19:21:24 JakeDaynes: I will once again reiterate, that I am here to do the work that needs done, as Leader, not as a Jack of all trades. I have made a commitement to this party since day one in June of last year, and I have done my best to make sure that I follow through with said commitement. I have a phone number, that anybody is more than welcome to call if they have any questions or concerns, we also have a PPCA number that allows anybody to reach me or
19:21:45 JakeDaynes: That number is available on the Contact Page, and my personal number is 206-734-4890
19:21:55 JakeDaynes: The position you are all voting for is a position for Leadership, not for an all around handyman. We have Directorial positions for a reason, in order to help support and structure the party, which is what Mikkel is good at doing.
19:22:09 JakeDaynes: I believe that I have a good grasp of what this party needs to continue, just as I have had a grasp on what it needed to start. I am here not for power or money, but because I am sick and tired of having the Big 3 decide my future for me. I'm here because I am disgusted every time I turn on the TV to our parliamentary system and see grown men and women backstabbing and screaming at each other.
19:22:17 JakeDaynes: I'm tired of politics, its time for democracy.
19:22:35 JakeDaynes: Thank you for your questions and time, once again, please vote for whom you feel is most qualified.
19:22:46 JakeDaynes: *sits down*
19:23:12 coppro: Jake, you asked a question; would you like to give Mikkel a chance to respond on record?
19:23:21 JakeDaynes: He may
mode (+v MikkelPaulson) by coppro (19:23:28)
19:23:53 MikkelPaulson: as I believe some people around here already know, I work as a freelance web developer
19:24:15 MikkelPaulson: I spend most of my time in front of my computer, and am always here and usually able to set work aside for an hour or two when I am needed
19:24:47 MikkelPaulson: that's why I've been able to commit as much time as I have to the party, and why I expect to be able to do so in the future
19:25:11 MikkelPaulson: thanks for the opportunity to respond
19:25:19 JakeDaynes: Its all democracy
19:25:26 coppro: Okay, and with that, I think we're done!
19:25:41 JakeDaynes: *shakes MikkelPaulson's hand*
19:25:56 MikkelPaulson: *shakes JakeDaynes's hand*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
«Print»

Jump to: